The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana / Package is a comprehensive relief package of Rs 1.70 Lakh Crore Yojana for the poor to help them fight the battle against Corona Virus. This was announced in March 2020, to reach out to the poorest of the poor, with food and money in hands, so that they do not face difficulties in buying essential supplies and meeting essential needs. The package included the measures listed hereunder from 30th March 2020:
Insurance Scheme for Health Workers
- Insurance cover of Rs 50 Lakh per health worker fighting COVID-19 to be provided under Insurance Scheme – extended for one year effective April 2021
- 80 crore poor people will to get 5 kg wheat or rice and 1 kg of preferred pulses for free every month for the next three months – extended to November 2021 (initially, the package was extended to May & June 2021; originally, it was extended to November 2020)
- 20 crore women Jan Dhan account holders to get Rs 500 per month for next three months
- Increase in MNREGA wage to Rs 202 a day from Rs 182 to benefit 13.62 crore families
- An ex-gratia of Rs 1,000 to 3 crore poor senior citizen, poor widows and poor disabled
- Government to front-load Rs 2,000 paid to farmers in first week of April 2020 under existing PM Kisan Yojana to benefit 8.7 crore farmers
- Central Government has given orders to State Governments to use Building and Construction Workers Welfare Fund to provide relief to Construction.
The Insurance Scheme has been extended for a period of 1 year (from its original validity of 90 days from 30 March 2020) effective April 20, 2021, to cover Health Workers who are helping in the fight against COVID-19. The scheme covers loss of life due to COVID-19 and accidental death on account of COVID-19 related duty. In case of an eventuality, an amount of INR 50 lakhs will be paid to the claimant of the insured person. The scheme was originally launched last year, and policies under the scheme began from 30th March 2020. All government health centres, wellness centres and hospitals of Centre as well as States are covered under this scheme approximately 22 lakh health workers would be provided insurance cover to fight this pandemic. The Government recently announced a new process for certifying claims by the District Collector and the insurance company approving and settling the claims within 48 hours.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Ann Yojana
Government of India resolved that it would not allow anybody, especially any poor family, to suffer on account of non-availability of foodgrains due to disruption from COVID-19.
- 80 crore individuals, i.e, roughly two-thirds of India’s population were to be covered under this scheme.
- Each individual was to be provided double of their current entitlement over next three months.
- This additionality was free of cost.
- Pulses: To ensure adequate availability of protein to all the above-mentioned individuals, 1 kg per family, was to be provided pulses according to regional preferences. These pulses were to be provided free of cost by the Government of India.
- Announcement of the PM Garib Kalyan Yojana
- New process for settling insurance claims under PM Garib Kalyan Yojana within 48 hours
- FAQs of the PN Garib Kalyan Package: Insurance Scheme for Health Workers Fighting COVID-19
- PM Announcement extending Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana
- Extension of PM Garib Kalyan Ann Package